PAJAMA DAY ON TUESDAY!
- We made it even though we are so hot. Please remember to send a water bottle with your learner each day as well as a snack. I already have some "repeat offenders" who are not bringing a snack each day.
- Homework on Monday will just about always be 3x each for spelling. A lot of learners earned a HOMEWORK PASS this week so many will probably opt out of that this coming week.
- Math fluency is a critical skill. Can you child add and subtract quickly? You may need to brush up with some flash cards, especially in the area of subtraction.
- We are learning about the scientific method. Ask your learner to think up some great science questions when they are outdoors.
- Remember to check grades often. Don't wait until conference time to discuss concerns. You may ask any time.
- Have a wonderful weekend. See you at mass.
9/21 Picture day tomorrow. Dress up!
9/20 BIG NEWS!! We won the dollar challenge with the most paper money brought in so we get a Pajama Day. It will be on Tuesday 9/26. Pajamas or sweat suits are acceptable. I told the kids they could bring in a small stuffed animal also to keep on their desk. HOW FUN!!
- Picture day is Friday. The children may dress up. Order forms went home last Friday.
- Did you return the WHITE form that allows your child to use our computers? If not, no ipads will be used until it is returned.
- Cursive writing is required in third grade. I will go easy with this expectation until the end of October. After that ALL WORK must be in cursive. This is the standard from the Diocese of Cleveland.
- THANKS SO MUCH to the Brubaker family for donating a large stack of new books to our classroom library. Your kindness and generosity is overwhelming!
- The children did pretty well with mass this week. I had to leave with a sick student and they managed to get communion without any prompting. If you could please help remind them at home about not playing with their hair at mass that would be great. I left mass with 2 pony holders from kids playing. I have asked them to keep their hands folded rather than playing "BEAUTY SHOP."
- Thanks for all the reading logs. When you turn these in, this is my written guarantee that you are hearing and seeing your child read during the week. As we all know, " it takes a village to raise a child."
- Picture day 9/22
- Scholastic Book sale next week! Flyers went home yesterday.
- I am not taking a grade for spelling this week. I just want to see their abilities. NEXT WEEK COUNTS!
- Have a great weekend. ( If your child plays sports, let me know. I will try to attend a game when possible!)
- Check out the new SAVING FRED pictures from today's experiment. There is a new tab above.
- Book fair for us will be on TUESDAY at 8:55.
- Login information went home tonight for the Headmaster site.
- CHECK OUT THE BEEKEEPING TAB ABOVE!
- Grades are now being posted. In third grade we put POINTS into the system and the system assigns a letter grade. I do not give letter grades. I give possible points such as 11/15 or 9/10. All grades are updated weekly so if you see something that is a concern or does not seem quite right, LET ME KNOW. Weekly behavior/conduct grades will typically be out of 15 points. Mass is typically 10 points. Timed math facts are points based on how many problems are on the page. On Monday there were 44 addition problems so that was worth 44 points. Please check the grades regularly so you don't have any surprises at report card time. If you don't have a login for the grade book site you will get that from Mrs. Meeker.
- We will have morning gathering on Mondays only. On Tuesday through Friday the children will report to the gym if they arrive before 7:45. After that, students will be directed to go up to the classroom. Bellwork time will be from 7:45 until around 8:30. Each day there will be an assignment to complete.
- Remember to bring a snack every day!
- Thanks for all the supplies that you sent in. Our Kleenex cupboard is fully stocked.
- Birthday treats are always welcome and we will celebrate birthdays in the afternoon. You will want to be sure your learner has a REGULAR snack even if you are sending in a birthday treat for the class. NO NUTS PLEASE!!
- I will be conducting a brief reading assessment this week for each child. This will help me plan instruction.
- REMINDER: This site is updated daily. CHECK BACK OFTEN!
First week 9/7 and 8
- I will provide the snack for the first week of school. Your child should bring a small snack each day starting next week. We will have a brief snack time each day before we begin our Math time. Snacks should not require a spoon and should be something that can be eaten quickly while doing work.
- Reading logs will be sent each Monday and will part of their nightly required reading. These will be returned each Friday and will count towards their reading grade. It is critical that you see and hear your child reading daily and that you read to them as well.
- Typically each child will have reading and math homework each night and occasionally science, social studies or religion will be required as well.
- The homework during the first few days will be limited as we work into our regular routine.
- Our school day begins promptly at 8:00. Students arriving after 8:00 will be marked tardy.
- We will participate in Scholastic Book Orders. Every time you purchase books for your child, I earn points towards books for our class. Here is the link to order online. You may order at any time. https://orders.scholastic.com/Q8J6Y Just copy and paste that into your browser! Last year I bought numerous sets for our room!
- WATER BOTTLES ARE OK! Your child may bring a full one to school to keep at their desk.
- We go to mass every Friday and ties are required. Please wear them to school tomorrow!
- We will begin AR soon. It is NOT too early to begin reading a book that you will use for an AR quiz.
- Next week I will begin to do some quick assessments for reading and math to see what groupings I need to make for instruction.