- Be sure to check out all of our class photos on the tab above. I will be taking this site down on the last day of school!
- No spelling next week.
- We will continue to work on our Planning a Vacation project next week.
- About 1/2 of the children still need 3 points worth of AR and this assignment is due on 5/31.
- In religion we are talking about Mary. We will continue with that next week.
- We will also do two art projects next week that the children brought in for us to do.
- ALL grades will wrap up this coming week. I will not be taking grades on 6/4.
- Enjoy your holiday weekend!
NO SPELLING NEXT WEEK.
NO LOG NEXT WEEK.
Interim reports and MAPS results coming home tonight. I am proud of their growth.
I added pizza party pictures on our class website and will update other items after mass today. ENJOY THE PICS and also..................THANK YOU PTA and Maria Chamber and Tracy Deitrick for organizing our wonderful pizza party.
THE KIDS LOVED IT!!!!!
STEM NIGHT AND CONCERT NEXT THURSDAY!!!!
The movie was great!!! Thank you Brubaker family for letting us borrow it. Thank you HUBER FAMILY for providing the popcorn.
- Our big saint project is complete. I will grading them using a rubric, which I shared with the children throughout the process.
- We will watch the Wonder movie next Friday afternoon. If anyone has the DVD we would love to borrow it.
- We are going to end the year with a special PBL based on planning a vacation. A while back the kids asked me to take them to the beach and I told them if they could figure out the cost and get their parents to pay, I would take them. So, that sparked the idea for me. They don't know about the project yet so please keep it a secret. They have a lot of research and math coming their way.
- I am submitting my Scholastic order today if anyone wants to squeeze in an order.
- Interim reports come out next Friday.
- ALL students are required to have 3 AR points in May. ALL students should be reading one point or higher books.
- EVERYONE did great with the Wonder AR test and everyone earned 11 points for that book!!!( That does not count for the required 3 points)
- I have a substitute teacher today. I will be back on Monday.
5/7 Important reminders:
- MAPS testing tomorrow and on Thursday.
- Team day on Wed. for those who qualified
- ALL students should be reading at least one point books now. 3 points are required for May. This assignments is worth 100 points.
- Thanks to the parents who sent in breads and sweet rolls today. I had a slice of coffee cake at lunchtime today. YUM!
- No reading log this week.
- The MAY altar is filling in nicely and the kids look fabulous. What a wonderful way to honor Mother Mary.
- I will submit the LAST book order for this year on 5/10. Thanks for all the orders this year.
- Next week we tackle the MAPS on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Next Wednesday is team day. If you child was chosen to attend the derby with their mini car they will need to return all of the forms coming home tonight.
- I am taking a PTO day next Friday because Jaimee is coming home for Mother's Day. Needless to say, I am thrilled.
- We will do spelling next week but NO READING LOGS.
- MAY AR REQUIREMENT is 3 points. This will be a graded assignment.
- We will meet with Father Norm next Wednesday as well.
- 5/18 interim reports
- Thanks for all the pencils. We are well-stocked now and these should last until the end of the year.
- Thanks for all the sponsorship money. I was surprised how much money was collected.
- AR-During the month of MAY I will be taking a grade for AR. EACH child should read 3 points worth of AR. By now, everyone should be at least reading books that are worth a full point so that would be 3 books during the month or ONE 3 point or higher book.
- We now have ten students who are finished with ALEKS third grade level and have moved up to fourth grade work. WAY TO GO, MATHEMATICIANS!!
- TEAM DAY for the mini cars is on 5/9. Students who are being invited to go will hear their names tomorrow. Only 11 students can attend and Carter and Zoey will automatically go since they had the fastest driving times for the large car. MORE DETAILS SOON.
- Mass day tomorrow-wear a tie and PLEASE be on time.
- Snacktime is going well. It is surprising how they can remember their snacks when they know I don't have any! hahahahhahahha
- A new student shadowed today in our class. She will be joining this group next year when they are in fourth grade. HOW FUN!!
- 5/8 and 5/10 and MAPS testing days.
- 5/16 we will be with Father Norm again. The kids are silent when he is speaking to them. It is so dear!
- 5/23 we will go meet Mr. Wesley again to see the bees.
- 5/24 is STEM NIGHT followed by our Spring Concert.
- NO SCHOOL on 5/25 or 5/28 Memorial Day
- 6/5 is the last day of school. HOW IS THIS HAPPENING SO QUICKLY?
- AIR testing tomorrow. Arrive on time, eat a healthy breakfast. We will begin promptly at 8:30. The children will have 3 hours to complete both sections.
- NO SPELLING THIS WEEK.
- Reach for the STARS logs are due back to school now. THANKS FOR ALL OF THE GREAT SPONSORSHIPS !!!!!
- Our big third grade car will race at Derby Downs on 5/19. We hope you will come out and support our driver!!
- A few students still have not brought in their five pencils. Please help us out!
- I am no longer providing snacks to those who forget them. They are not provided in fourth grade. Please remind your learner to BE RESPONSIBLE!!!!!
- Talent Show on 5/4. We hope you will come and watch us perform!!
- More test prep this week. We will do the AIR reading test next week. On that note, I will be sending home a packet of test prep items for the children to work on this week. The work is due back to me on Thursday. It is a reading selection, some questions and a multi-paragraph writing selection.
- Grades closed on Friday. The report cards will be coming home this Friday.
- Spelling words this week are sight words again. Last week's spelling tests could have been better. Your child should go over the words EVERY NIGHT!!
- The STAR reading logs will be due next Monday, 4/23. This will be counted as a reading homework grade. Remember, the children are to read 30 minutes each day for 14 days.
- FLASH CARDS: It is time to get out the flash cards again. I gave a fact check last week and many did not have a passing score. I will be giving another fact check this week. PLEASE PRACTICE EVERY NIGHT!!!! If you don't still have flash cards, you can get them at the Dollar Tree for a buck!
- Our class is in charge of Mass on Friday. We hope you will be able to join us. Alana O, Jeriah, Bella and Matthew will have parts to practice this week. Jackson and Mac will take up the offertory.
- AIR test practice is under way. We will do the AIR reading test on 4/24 and the AIR math test on 5/3.
- Grades close on Friday.
- Report cards will go home on 4/20.
- MAP testing for reading and math will be during the week of 5/7.
- The reading log for this week and next week will be the STAR PAPER that goes along with the REACH FOR THE STARS PROGRAM. They should read for 20 minutes each night and fill in the star on the sheet by writing 30. The sheets are due back on 4/23 and I will be counting this as their reading homework for the next two weeks.
LAST CALL FOR SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDERS.
Check out the new pics of our Trinity Project on the photo tab above.
Time to turn in RICE BOWLS!
- Did you love having a snow day? That snow day will push our TOPS AND BOTTOMS story quiz back until Monday. The children can read it again over the weekend. The quiz is just multiple choice.
- Spelling test tomorrow but no spelling next week.
- Mass and stations tomorrow. Wear a tie.
- After spring break we will begin our Saints unit. Each student will have one saint to research and a project will be assigned.
- In April, we will also move into "CRUNCH TIME" before AIR and MAPS testing. This is pretty typical for all teachers in APRIL.
- We will dismiss from church on Friday at 3:00 after Stations of the Cross.
- We will meet with Father Norm on 3/28 at 2:30 for a lesson on our faith.
- Spring Break begins on Good Friday. The Holy Thursday mass on 3/29 is the mass where the feet washing will take place.
- The third quarter ends on 4/13 which is right after Spring Break.
- We will do our AIR reading test on 4/24. This is the test that goes along with the 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee that you hear about on the news and we discussed at conferences. We will practice on the website the day before.
- We will do the AIR math test on 5/3.
- The week after that we will do the MAPS tests for Reading and Math. May 8th will be the reading portion and May 9th will be the math portion.
- 5/19 will be our race day at Derby Downs. Our class is building a large car to race that day. One driver will be chosen.
- 5/24 will be a STEM NIGHT and SPRING CONCERT at our school. More details will be coming.
- Interim reports are going home tonight.
- NO SPELLING NEXT WEEK. It is a short week. No school on 3/16!
- A permission slip for HOLY THURSDAY MASS went home yesterday. Please return them soon.
- We will begin fractions on Monday. Mrs. Meeker will be observing the lesson as well.
- Talent Show: This Light of Mine on May 4th at 7:00 p.m. All students are welcome to audition.
- 3/30-4/6: Spring Break
- 4/13-Third Quarter Grading Period Ends
- I did not make an AR goal for a grade during the month of March but everyone should be reading 20 min. per night.
- New pictures are on the CLASS PHOTOS tab above if you scroll to the bottom of that page.
We have a busy week ahead.
- Confession on Wednesday at 9 am.
- COSI presentation on Tuesday. We will attend two sessions.
- Science test on Thursday. Study guides went home on Thursday night. All students should be able to answer those multiple choice questions. There are also two extended response questions on the back page which will need to be answered in complete sentences. Please practice those WRITTEN responses at home as well. I will read all test questions and answer choices.
- Every Friday we attend Stations of the Cross at 2:30 and will dismiss from the church afterwards.
- In Math we are moving into division but will also be incorporating some mini lessons on fractions as we get closer to the next round of AIR tests. Teachers call this "crunch time".
- If your child is NOT going to origami, please send me an email to make dismissal easier.
- Thanks again to the Pierce family, Lann Family and Bush Family for the extra snacks!!!
- TARDINESS: We have a few students who show up late several times per week. This is a big disruption when we are trying to get our day started because I have to stop what I am doing and give a second round of directions. These children are also missing Morning Gathering. I am going to send home Simple Solutions workbooks this week for the students who have missing work due to arriving late. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
- In math we are talking about Fact Families. This is an easy way to introduce division to the children. They caught on VERY quicky during the lesson today.
- Healthy Eating presentation today from 1-2.
- Wednesday is the last day to get the required 3 AR points and 10 students still have not completed this assignment! YIKES!
- A HUGE THANK YOU TO BELLA'S FAMILY AND CAMBELL'S FAMILY FOR THE EXTRA SNACKS! WE ALWAYS NEED THEM!!!!
- Do you want to order Scholastic Books? Here is the link. The order will be submitted tomorrow.
- Reading logs due tomorrow.
- Did you remember that your learner needs 3 AR points by next Wednesday?
- We are in need of extra snacks for all the kids who forget to bring them each day. If you have any goodies around the kitchen that you can donate, we will take them. The kids are not picky and my supply is out!
- Starting tomorrow we will be going to Stations of the Cross each Friday afternoon. We will dismiss from the church on Fridays.
- Healthy Eating Presentation: Our PTA is hosting a Healthy Eating Presentation on Monday, February 26 in the cafeteria. Monday, February 26 Healthy eating presentation for all Pre-K-3rd 1:00-2:00 in the Cafeteria. 2 kids will be helping with the cooking. I will randomly choose them.
- The Science games were great. We have already played some of them and we will be doing more of that this afternoon.
- Thank you CHAMBERS FAMILY for the donation of prizes and candy. We appreciate you!
- Thanks to all the families that attended our AWARDS NIGHT. The children were so proud of their accomplishments.
- Finally, can you believe Noah started an origami club. I am so proud of his efforts and tons of students are attending. WAY TO GO, NOAH!!
- The children are so excited about their science projects. I told them they can present them next week so we have time to play them.
- No school tomorrow or on Monday.
- AWARDS TONIGHT-Pizza at 6 and awards afterwards
- 3 AR points are required from everyone during the month of February. Is your learner on track. I am taking a grade on this.
- We will have a reading log next week.
- Do you want to order Scholastic Books? Here is the link. The order will be submitted next Friday, 2/23.
- Bring Valentine Box on Tuesday and treats to pass out.
- Read every night and remember you must have 3 AR points during the month of February.
- Mass on Wed. at 9:00.
- Report cards will be send home on Monday for people who could not attend conferences.
- Science Matching Game due on Thursday.
- No School on Friday.
- Due to the short week and today's snow, I am not giving a spelling test tomorrow but I will use those SAME WORDS for the test next Thursday.
- Perhaps everyone can put in a little time today working on the science project. Remember they need ten animals. The animal name and picture goes on one card and the matching card will tell about the adaptation to keep the animal safe or help it survive. The matching card must state if the adaptation is STRUCTURAL(the way the animal is made by God) OR if the adaptation is BEHAVIORAL( the way it acts such as migration or hibernation) PROJECTS ARE DUE NEXT THURSDAY. Board games and student-created worksheets are also an option for the project.
- Do you want a conference? Sign up today if so. Conferences are not required this time around. Report cards will be sent home on Monday.
- Mass is at 9:00 next Wednesday. We will be reading and we hope you can join us. It is Ash Wednesday.
- No school this Friday or next Friday.
- Conferences are Thursday night. Please sign up online if you plan to come. We will pass out report cards and also go over MAPS growth. If I already met with you, I will just send the report card home with your child. If you are not planning to come, report cards will come home the following Monday.
- Each night students are required to read for 20 minutes. This counts as a reading homework grade. Many children have grades that are average simply because they are not doing/returning their homework. I am sending home an important document regarding reading tonight. Please be on the lookout!
- In February every child will be required to read 3 points worth of AR books. I will be counting this as a grade.
- Science projects due on 2/15.
- Ash Wednesday mass at 9:00 on 2/14. Our class will lead the readings. (Carter, Katie, Henry and Alana M. please keep practicing at home.)
- I will not be here Monday. I will keep you posted about mom.
- Catholic Schools Week is this week. Please read the bulletin because there is a lot going on. Photos are above.
- As a reminder, I will be out on 2/5 for my mom's surgery.
- If you need/want a conference I am available any day after school!
- Thanks to Mary Labin for being our surprise speaker on Monday. She told the children all about her photography career. THEY LOVED IT!!
- Mass tomorrow at 8:15. The grand-friends can sit with their student. Tour and snack afterwards at the school.
- Valentine boxes due back to school on 2/13. I will send some decorating materials home this week so they can get busy creating.
- Grades close this Friday.
- AR-During the month of February, I am requiring every student to get at least 3 points in AR. This is about a ONE POINT book each week. Everyone should be able to meet or exceed that goal.
- During the weeks of 2/12-2/23, we will be doing a lot of activities around the Olympics. I think the kids will enjoy this change of pace.
- Information about a major science project will be coming home on Wednesday.
- Math test tomorrow and also a fact practice that will be graded. USE THOSE FLASH CARDS!!!!
- Spelling test on Friday.
- Wear your jammies tomorrow. No cost for this dress down day. I told my kids they could bring a stuffed animal to keep at their desk also. Slippers may be brought but just for wearing in the room.
- Grandparent's Day is on 1/31.
- Is your child working on the Great Kindness Challenge Checklist at home?
- All students must take one AR by Friday. They have had since 1/9 to get this job completed.
- PLEASE be sure to remind your child to bring a snack every day! I have several repeat offenders.
- We will have a multiplication test next Thursday over Multiplication units 3 and 4. I expect them to do well and we will review next week.
- Important Dates:
1/29-2/2 Catholic School's Week
1/31 Grandparent's Day
2/5 Teacher absent
2/8 Conference night (Hopefully you can come before this date!)
2/13 Valentine's box due/bring cards and a treat to share
2/14 Third grade mass-please join us
2/15 Award's Night
- My mom has been scheduled for heart surgery on 2/5. Mrs. Hofacker will cover my class that day. I will play the rest of that week by ear.
- Conferences are on the night of 2/8 which is three days later. I am planning to be available for conferences that night BUT, if you are thinking of having a conference I would be grateful if you would consider doing it before my mom's surgery. NOTE: Conferences are not necessary unless your learner has failing grades.
- MAPS testing will be this week on Wednesday and Thursday. PLEASE BE SURE YOUR CHILD IS WELL RESTED!
- SHOW AND TELL will be on 1/19. Your child can bring in the one item they are describing in their writing journal. If it is too large to bring, just send me a photo.
- We will celebrate Kindness Week beginning 1/22. Lots of nice activities are planned. Catholic School's Week is the following week, 1/29.
- Grandparent's Day will be celebrated on 1/31. We will create invites with the details.
- Grades close on 2/2.
- For Valentine's Day we will celebrate on 2/13 which is a Tuesday. Ash Wednesday is on 2/14 and no party is allowed on that day. More details about my Valentine's plans will be coming home on a flyer.
- 2/14 is also our next mass.
- We will have an awards ceremony on the night of 2/15 at 6:00pm.
- All students should be practicing flash cards at home EVERY night. Take the cards out of the pile when they know them well and focus on the ones that are more tricky. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
- Water bottles are no longer needed at school because the fountains have been replaced.
- Check out the AR news on the tab above!
WOW! I can't believe all of these days off and all of the crazy weather we have been having. Here are a few updates:
- Spelling test on Thursday.
- No reading log this week.
- MAPS testing next week- on Wed. we will do READING and on Thurs. we will do MATH
- Show and tell will be next Friday 1/19 and should be the one item they are writing about in their descriptive piece. If it is too large to bring, you can send a picture of the item to my email so they can still share.
- Multiplication fact quizes started today with facts from 0-2. I did not take a grade today but I will be taking a great every week. They have 5 minutes to complete 50 facts. Mrs. Giffels requires all facts to be memorized for fourth grade. I will send home sets of flashcards if you need them. Please let me know if you do so I don't waste copy paper for those who do not need them. The facts/ levels will be more difficult each week as we work our way up to all facts 0-10.
- We did begin reading Wonder. We have already had a few heartfelt conversations about how Auggie must have felt with his facial deformity. We will be starting vocabulary and comprehension questions to go along with the book next week. As a reminder, while I am reading this book to them, I expect them to be reading to themselves on a daily basis and their AR points should reflect this as well. Other reading assignments will also be given.
- Two bonus snow days! What a surprise!
- Several students no longer have headsets and these are required with much that we do on the iPads. Please check with your learner and send some in if necessary. Many of them are using ones that I had but even those are "shot" now.
- The new spelling words contain the prefixes re- and un-. The next test will be on Thursday, 1/11.
- Grades for the second quarter close on 2/2. Conferences will be on the night of 2/8 if you wish to have one.
- To be on track for the Pizza Party your child should have 40 AR points by that date! Ample AR time is always given in class.
- Thanks again to everyone who donated money for the Christmas Visa Card. I shared a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner with my kids in Vegas and it was due to your kindness.
- Our next class mass is on 2/14. We hope you will plan to join us. That is also ASH WEDNESDAY.
- Reminder: Students should bring water bottles and snack EVERY day. Thanks in advance.
- In math we are continuing to work on multiplication. Now is the time to get started with multiplication flash cards. I will be sending home a set with everyone next week and timed assessments will be starting as well. All facts must be memorized in order to be successful with 4th grade math.
- Finally, I found out yesterday that my mom will be going through heart surgery soon. She is needing a full valve replacement due to aortic valve stenosis. I am certain I will be missing work at some point in time. I ask for prayers for my mom. She is 73 and overall very healthy. My family is shocked by this news.
- The next spelling test will be on 1/11 which is a Thursday.
- All students will be responsible to take regular AR quizzes while I am reading Wonder to them over the next few weeks. I will allow time each day to silently read and they should be doing this at home as well.
- I hope everyone is enjoying their first day of break! I did not sleep in very late but it still is nice to have a few days before Christmas to get organized and clean my house.
- Thank you to Maria Chambers for organizing our party and for keeping the kids entertained.
- Thank you to all of the parents that visited our room and helped with the craft projects.
- Thank you to everyone who contributed to my gift card. I was surprised and will be using the card towards our Christmas dinner.
- We are meeting our children in Las Vegas. We have spent the past two Christmases in Utah but wanted to try somewhere new. My son, Jake, does not like to fly so he and his wife are driving there to meet us for Christmas. Jaimee, my daughter, will be flying in from Boston so I will have the greatest gift, which is having my kids together for Christmas. Again, I appreciate the gift card and it will help a lot towards our Christmas dinner.
- I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope you enjoy the time with your children as well. I would go back to the days of having a third grade child in an instant. My house is far too quiet this Christmas.
- Due to the snow day today, we have re-scheduled our Christmas Program for 1:00 p.m. tomorrow, Friday, December 15. Our party will begin after the performance.
- Learners should come to school tomorrow dressed in their Christmas Program attire: Pre-K and Kindergarten: wear your assigned color of t-shirt with dark pants/skirt (no jeans please.) Grades 1-8: wear your festive Christmas sweater, t-shirt, top, etc. with nice pants, skirt, or a dress, and dress shoes. (No jeans please.)
- The last day is tomorrow. We resume class on 1/3. I hope everyone has a beautiful Christmas. We will be traveling for our Christmas since my kids are no longer at home.
- When we return in January, we will continue to work on multiplication and will dig in to a big unit based around the book Wonder. I will be reading it to the children and we will discuss it whole group. We will also be incorporating activities along the way with the 4th and 5th grade classes. During this time, I will be having the children amp up their AR reading so they are reading good fit books at their level. I will also be doing some oral reading assessments to check fluency and accuracy. I will continue to provide AR time each day.
- Check out the new pictures on the CLASS PHOTOS tab above!
- Our next book order will be submitted on 1/26. Here is the link to order! Thanks for your continued support!
- What an amazing prayer service we had yesterday afternoon. I have a few beautiful pictures of our kids worshiping Jesus. It was a beautiful thing to see.
- There are other pictures on this site as well. Click the pictures tab above!
- Monday is confession at 9:00.
- Thursday night is our Christmas show. The children should be in my room at 6:30 and the show starts at 7.
- Thursday is a dress down day. Wear your Christmas colors. The cost is $1.00 minimum to donate to St. Paul's Catholic School in Jacksonville. We have already raised over $320.00. The kids are thrilled to be helping them in such a REAL way!
- Reminder: All third grade students should take an AR quiz before 12/15. I am taking a grade on this. I also remind them of this each morning.
- Mass today does not begin until 9:00 but we hope you will join us for this special holy day.
- Our Christmas party is being organized by Mrs. Chambers. Feel free to join us at 1:45 ish for some fun! Contact her if you would like to help or donate items.
- The next two weeks will be very busy but we also have a lot of work to accomplish.
- We will continue working on Bat Loves the Night and towards the end of the week we will move into some Christmas poems.
- The kids are catching on to multiplication quickly and I will be skipping lessons in the workbook so we can get into the meat of the required skills. You can help at home by skip counting with your learner!!
- We will have a Christmas party on 12/15 and I am grateful to Mrs. Chambers for being a rock-star at helping to orchestrate that!
- Dress down day on 12/6. Ask your learner why!
- There will be a reading log for the next two weeks. Every child should be taking an AR quiz prior to Christmas break. NO EXCUSES PLEASE!
- Lots of Advent materials came home with your child tonight. We are in a time of waiting for the Lord. Check out all of the materials and please use them at home. Encourage your child to prepare for the birth of Jesus in a special way.
- Have a wonderful weekend.
- Maura, Carter, Caitlin, Cambell and Nicole: Please practice reading your parts. Our mass is Friday at 8:15.
- Please remember to pack a snack each day!
- Thanks for the book orders. I ordered more books for our classroom with my points!
- Multiplication began today!
- No reading log this week.
- We are collecting wash cloths, underwear, socks, soap, toothpaste, backpacks, school supplies and blankets for holiday packs to give the the homeless. Any help is appreciated.
- Monday is the only day we have school this week.
- Monday is a dress down day. Pay a dollar and dress down.
- My Scholastic book order will be submitted soon. Click here to order.
- No spelling list this week.
- The only homework over break is READ, READ, READ!
- 12/1 is our mass at 8:15.
- Send in a snack on Monday to mix into our friendship mix. Cereal, marshmallows, candy, pretzels are all good choices for this.
- Your child will still need a regular snack for Monday morning.
- Tomorrow we will go to the play and be a little late getting back for lunch. Marimargaret will still have a hot lunch for my kids who are buying.
- Monday we will meet with 4 and 5 in the afternoon for a little friendship treat and a movie. In the morning we will be working on lots of information about Thanksgiving.
- THANKS FOR ALL OF THE CRANBERRY SAUCE. We collected a bunch.
- I am so proud of how hard these kids have been working. The report cards look good. I take a ton of grades so if your learner has an A or B in any area, you should be very proud of them. As I mentioned before we are way ahead of last years group in the area of writing and they are really getting the hang of paragraphs!
- We will begin multiplication after Thanksgiving and they are ready. Most of them can skip count well enough to solve multiplication problems quite quickly. That is one skill that can be reinforced at home. They should be able to count by 2,3,4,5, and 10 now. We have been doing this since the first week of school. This can be practiced in the car or while dinner is cooking. It is such an easy way for them to learn to multiply. We have not done 6,7,8 or 9 yet.
- The next AR goal is 40 points by 2/2. Please don't put reading on the "back burner" while school is on break. Practice makes perfect!
- NO SPELLING NEXT WEEK!
- If your child is a reader for our 12/1 mass, PLEASE practice over break!
- I wish you all a wonderful break. I am especially excited because I am hosting and my daughter will be home!!
- We will walk to the high school on Friday to see a play. We will go right after mass.
- 2 students need to cover their Reading book
- The kids are doing great with subtracting across zero and today we even managed to work in a game during our math time!
- Our next mass is 12/1 and the following students will have a part: Maura, Carter, Caitlin, Dane, Zoey, Cambell and Nicole. We hope you will come and worship with us!!
- Reminder: Scholastic book orders are due by 11/27. Just click here and order!
- Roberto Clemente comprehension quiz on Friday!
- NEW BEEKEEPER PICS ABOVE!!
- There will be a reading log this week!! They are due on Friday and worth 8 homework points.
- This week in math we are going to work more on subtracting across zeros.
- Our story in Reading this week is about Roberto Clemente. Most of the kids last year loved this story.
- We have begun working on opinion or persuasive writing. We use a T chart to plan our ideas before we write.
- GRADES CLOSE ON FRIDAY. Hopefully there will be no surprises on your learner's report card. I hope you are checking HEADMASTER often. Overall the kids are doing well. I am pleased with their writing.
- We met with Father Norm on Wed. and as always he was great. He answered questions from students about things they see when we go to mass.
- This week we have learned a lot about honeybees and Mr. Wesley comes tomorrow to meet with our class. Students from STVM will join us as well. This is all part of our science standards for third grade.
- Next week in Math we are going to do a little work with subtracting across zeros. We have not covered this enough and we have to practice that!
- Our next mass is 12/1 so believe it or not we will be assigning parts next week due to Thanksgiving break. When we return from break our mass is that Friday! YIKES!
- AR NEWS: Extra credit will be added to those who hit my AR goal. Remember 75 points are needed to attend the party at the end of the year. If your child is reading 20 minutes each night they should be able to reach that goal.
- Happy November. It is my most favorite month of all.
- A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO BELLA'S GRANDMA FOR PROVIDING WATER BOTTLES FOR OUR CLASS!!! This should help with all those trips to the fountain downstairs!!
- We will have two visitors next week. Wesley from Akron Honey Company will come to our class to teach us about bees and Father Norm will meet with us again to take our questions.
- All spelling tests from today forward will be in cursive. I will continue to send practice sheets occasionally.
- Regarding today's spelling test: quite a few had errors related to cursive. I showed the class again how to come off an "o" and how to come off a "b". They will continue to improve! NO WORRIES!
- Grades close next Friday the 10th. Does your reader have at least 15 AR points?
- I am really proud of the efforts this class is giving to writing. I am way beyond where I was at this time last year. We now know how to write a paragraph and we will be moving into opinion writing.
- We are almost done with our graphing and data math unit. I knew it would go quickly and it is a short unit. I will not be giving a big unit assessment but it will be a regular graded classwork page they will do independently. Multiplication is next.
- Speaking of math, congratulations to Cambell, Caitlin and Katie for completing the 3rd grade ALEKS program. They are now using the 4th grade program. When my kids use ALEKS, I help them one-on-one to learn new concepts like fractions, parallel lines, and angles then send them to their desk to work on problems in those areas. It worked well like that last year and it gave the kids a chance to work on concepts that had not yet been introduced to the WHOLE group just yet. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH and the kids are so excited with working on new things that others are not doing yet!! One of the greatest thrills of a teacher is to see a child "get it" and then apply it on their own!
10/30 HALLOWEEN pictures are above!
- Thanks for your patience during our sink hole trouble.
- Did you check out our bridge building challenge pictures?
- Ask your child how they did on their spelling test. I had a few surprises for them which may have had an impact on their grade.
- We have learned about frequency tables and pictographs so far in our new math unit. We will be doing a few Halloween projects with them next week.
- Your learner will also be exposed to grading using a rubric next week. I will be using rubrics on occasion this year to help assess the quality of their writing and projects.
- We met with 4th and 5th yesterday to learn about the prayers on the rosary. We will do this again this year. It is a beautiful thing to see 75 kids on task and praying at the same time. (I HAVE THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD!!)
- Just a reminder that anyone who hits my AR goal of 15 points before the end of this quarter will get a bonus on their reading grade.
- Thanksgiving- Our class will be responsible for collecting cans of cranberry sauce for food baskets. I know you will be generous and I thank you in advance.
- Costume should be brought to school in a bag.
- School uniform should be labeled inside because every year clothing is lost.
- Makeup should be brought to school, not worn.
- We have mass at 8:15 so everyone needs to be in their regular mass uniform.
- Candy and treats may be sent in. The WONDERFUL ROOM PARENTS will be stuffing goodie bags for the children.
- Costume should be appropriate for a Catholic School. When in doubt, leave it out! Nothing should be too creepy or bloody. We have three year old children who attend our school!!
- We have a busy week coming up.
- AIR Reading Test on Wednesday. This is the test required by the State of Ohio. Please remind your child to GO SLOW!! They can take up to 2.5 hours to complete the test. The must read carefully and answer questions that can be multiple choice, short answer or extended response.
- Our parade will begin at 1:30 but you are welcome to come at 1:00 to help your child get ready. They must come to school on Friday in their regular MASS UNIFORM.
- The math test results for Unit 1 were a mixed bag. Some did very well and some did not. I am curving the scores by two points. The highest score was a 57/59 so I am making the test out of 57 rather than 59. Some of the errors I saw where students adding when they should have subtracted and vice versa. That is a careless mistake, especially since I read the entire test to them.
- Did you see all of the pictures on our photos tab above?
- We are beginning a new problem-based learning experience with the 4th and 5th grade students. We will be learning about hurricanes and providing aide to a particular school in need.
- All of the children who helped with mass did a beautiful job. I was so proud of them. Thanks to everyone who attended.
- Our new math unit focuses on graphing and data. We will move through this one pretty quickly. We will be starting multiplication soon.
- Thanks to the Lann family for the baby wipes.
- Even though the weather has cooled off we still do not have a working fountain on our floor so please continue to send a water bottle each day with your child.
- These kids are doing well with writing. I am so happy about that. We are currently working on writing descriptive pieces about our Halloween costumes and we have begun a writing journal. Because of this, I did not give them a sentence this week on their spelling test.
10/20 CHECK OUT ALL THE NEW PHOTOS ON THE CLASS PHOTOS PAGE!!
- MATH TEST THIS FRIDAY. We are reviewing this week!
- Time to place online book orders through Scholastic. I will close the order on 10/30.
- Reminder that our mass is on Friday at 8:15. We hope you will join us. We have been practicing a ton.
- Did you have fun at the carnival? I thought the turnout was great!
- I was lucky enough to see our boys play football on Saturday morning. I loved it!! Keep me posted on other sporting events. I love to show up and see the kids.
- We will do a practice AIR test this week to get used to the state online testing site. This will give the kids a chance to maneuver around the tools prior to doing the real AIR test next week. This is the state reading test that shows if our kids are on track with reading.
- Speaking of testing, the MAPS reports were not available on conference night but will be sent home soon.
- Our mass is this Friday at 8:15. We hope you will join us in the greatest form of prayer.
- On Wednesday we will have an assembly from The Energized Guyz in the afternoon and we will also meet with Fr. Norm. We meet with him about one time per month to listen and learn about various aspects of our faith.
- Thanks for all of the September online book orders. It is now time to place orders for October. I will submit the orders on 10/30. Here is the link: https://orders.scholastic.com/Q8J6Y
- Thanks to all the supportive parents that attended conferences. I appreciate your help in this journey!
- See you at the carnival. I work 2-4 at the wristband station.
- There is homework over the weekend! A cursive practice was sent home.
- Math test on unit 1 on Friday, 10/20. Our next unit is graphing and data.
- Carnival this coming Saturday. Did you order your wristbands? We would love to win that ice cream party!
- Our class mass is on 10/20. We hope you will join us at 8:15. We will practice this week and parts will come home for you to practice as well. Only about the first five kids in our roster will participate in this first mass.
- Thanks to everyone who offered to help with our Halloween goodies. I appreciate this more than you will ever know.
- Reading logs will be due on Thursday this week and count towards your learner's reading grade.
- Did you sign up for a conference yet? I will have MAPS results to share with you.
- Reminder: If you did not turn in your PHOTO RELEASE page at the start of the year, I cannot post pictures of your child. I am missing this from a few families.
- Regarding grades: This will be the first time you see A, B, C type grades on a report card. Previously the children have had S, N, and U type grades. In my class, I grade most of their work, including homework so if you see A and B, that is a great indicator that you child is doing well. If you see a C, that is an area where improvement is needed. Often times students get lower grades in Language Arts. This is mainly due to capitalization and punctuation errors in their writing. This will take practice. DON' T BE ALARMED but feel free to remind them at home to use these things when writing. Conduct, religion, science and social studies grades look great.
- Reminder: we will have a substitute tomorrow. She will give a spelling test so please be sure to study.
- Sign up for a conference time if you have any questions or concerns.
- A cheer-leading sign up page went home last night with each girl.
- Reading logs will be given for next week and they should be returned on Thursday. They will be worth six points next week due to the shortened week.
- Many students do not have even one point in AR yet. Please remind your learned to take the AR quiz after completing their book!!
- Have a wonderful weekend. I know I will. Jaimee arrived late last night and there is nothing like having your child at home!
- It is important for your learner to practice spelling words each night. Monday's homework of 3x each is simply not enough to master the words for a test on Friday. Also, words spelled with capital letters will be marked wrong. We only need capital letters for proper nouns. I keep reminding them during the test but some are still overusing capital letters. This is costing a lot of points!
- Congratulations to Noah Bradley who already has over 10 AR points.
- We will likely be doing Halloween activities with the 4th and 5th graders. More information coming soon.
- Each month I will email a SMORE newsletter. This is to help with our ongoing effort to keep all parents informed. One will be coming today!!
- Grades are updated regularly. Please check Headmaster often!! Missing work is recorded as a zero. Sometimes this happens because a student does not follow directions and puts the work in their own mailbox instead of turning it in. If you see something come home without a grade, you may want to send it back in and have your child ask me if I needed it.
- Are you coming to the carnival on 10/14? I will be working at the registration table from 2-4.
- Conference sign ups coming soon. They are not required but I will be here from 3-8 if you would like to meet.
- Check out the new pictures on the St. Vincent de Paul Feast Day tab above.
9/29 Well, we made it through September. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to work with these children. They amaze me each day with their reading and bright answers.
- I will be pulling an AR report soon. Several of the children have told me that they have not done ANY AR yet. Although it is not required, I do encourage it and since they are reading for 20 minutes each night they should have taken at least one quiz by now!
- During each week we work on lessons in our new SIMPLE SOLUTIONS workbooks for math and LA. We go over them each Friday and correct our answers and discuss questions. They are doing well with completing the work and checking their answers!
- BEHAVIOR: During both of our Technology classes this week the children have been too talkative and not listening to Mr. Oravec. Two students had their dog moved today for this reason. I was in the lab with them to help get them ready for the MAPS testing next week and they all should have been following his directions and logging in to the test site. Many were not on task and three adults were in there trying to help. PLEASE remind your learner that their conduct grade is taken every day. When a dog moves down, they only get one point for that day, not three.
- Thanks for all of the book orders. I did use points to order some more free books for our class.
- SHOUT OUT to the Lann family for providing popsicles on Tuesday. The children were thrilled and so was the teacher!!
- Have a wonderful weekend!
- Book orders for this month are due tomorrow. You can order online using our classroom code: https://orders.scholastic.com/Q8J6Y
- All students should be ATTEMPTING to use cursive in their daily work. I have noticed that many are printing when they have nice handwriting. Cursive will be required after 10/31. I will remind them at school and please help remind them at home. Practice makes perfect.
- In Reading we are beginning to learn about character traits. We can describe a character by their actions, not just by their looks. You can practice at home with a book they are reading. Ask, "What character trait does that character display?" ( curious, sneaky, empathetic for example.) Then have your child tell you WHY they chose that trait.
- In Language Arts we are working on writing complete sentences. This includes using a capital letter, spacing, and punctuation. Each Friday on the spelling test I will have them write one full sentence using one of our given words. One sentence is worth 3 points. I will do this each week. Simply forgetting a capital letter or a period will make that grade a 2/3 rather than 3/3. We will be moving into paragraphs soon. Please remind your child to use capital letters and periods. This is a critical standard for writing success.
- In Religion we are working on learning all the rituals of a Catholic Mass which include properly blessing ourselves, saying prayers, saying responses after the priest and learning the Apostle's Creed, which teaches what we believe. You can help at home by modeling these things each Sunday in mass. Part of what makes a Catholic Church a great place to worship are the rituals that have been handed down from generation to generation. We have learned that all Catholic churches do these things no matter where we travel.
- Has your child told you what their engineering project is?
- A huge thank you to the CHAMBERS family for providing Popsicles today. I provided them last Friday and Mrs. Meeker provided some last Thursday. HOW FUN!!
PAJAMA DAY ON TUESDAY!
- We made it even though we are so hot. Please remember to send a water bottle with your learner each day as well as a snack. I already have some "repeat offenders" who are not bringing a snack each day.
- Homework on Monday will just about always be 3x each for spelling. A lot of learners earned a HOMEWORK PASS this week so many will probably opt out of that this coming week.
- Math fluency is a critical skill. Can you child add and subtract quickly? You may need to brush up with some flash cards, especially in the area of subtraction.
- We are learning about the scientific method. Ask your learner to think up some great science questions when they are outdoors.
- Remember to check grades often. Don't wait until conference time to discuss concerns. You may ask any time.
- Have a wonderful weekend. See you at mass.
9/21 Picture day tomorrow. Dress up!
9/20 BIG NEWS!! We won the dollar challenge with the most paper money brought in so we get a Pajama Day. It will be on Tuesday 9/26. Pajamas or sweat suits are acceptable. I told the kids they could bring in a small stuffed animal also to keep on their desk. HOW FUN!!
- Picture day is Friday. The children may dress up. Order forms went home last Friday.
- Did you return the WHITE form that allows your child to use our computers? If not, no ipads will be used until it is returned.
- Cursive writing is required in third grade. I will go easy with this expectation until the end of October. After that ALL WORK must be in cursive. This is the standard from the Diocese of Cleveland.
- THANKS SO MUCH to the Brubaker family for donating a large stack of new books to our classroom library. Your kindness and generosity is overwhelming!
- The children did pretty well with mass this week. I had to leave with a sick student and they managed to get communion without any prompting. If you could please help remind them at home about not playing with their hair at mass that would be great. I left mass with 2 pony holders from kids playing. I have asked them to keep their hands folded rather than playing "BEAUTY SHOP."
- Thanks for all the reading logs. When you turn these in, this is my written guarantee that you are hearing and seeing your child read during the week. As we all know, " it takes a village to raise a child."
- Picture day 9/22
- Scholastic Book sale next week! Flyers went home yesterday.
- I am not taking a grade for spelling this week. I just want to see their abilities. NEXT WEEK COUNTS!
- Have a great weekend. ( If your child plays sports, let me know. I will try to attend a game when possible!)
- Check out the new SAVING FRED pictures from today's experiment. There is a new tab above.
- Book fair for us will be on TUESDAY at 8:55.
- Login information went home tonight for the Headmaster site.
- CHECK OUT THE BEEKEEPING TAB ABOVE!
- Grades are now being posted. In third grade we put POINTS into the system and the system assigns a letter grade. I do not give letter grades. I give possible points such as 11/15 or 9/10. All grades are updated weekly so if you see something that is a concern or does not seem quite right, LET ME KNOW. Weekly behavior/conduct grades will typically be out of 15 points. Mass is typically 10 points. Timed math facts are points based on how many problems are on the page. On Monday there were 44 addition problems so that was worth 44 points. Please check the grades regularly so you don't have any surprises at report card time. If you don't have a login for the grade book site you will get that from Mrs. Meeker.
- We will have morning gathering on Mondays only. On Tuesday through Friday the children will report to the gym if they arrive before 7:45. After that, students will be directed to go up to the classroom. Bellwork time will be from 7:45 until around 8:30. Each day there will be an assignment to complete.
- Remember to bring a snack every day!
- Thanks for all the supplies that you sent in. Our Kleenex cupboard is fully stocked.
- Birthday treats are always welcome and we will celebrate birthdays in the afternoon. You will want to be sure your learner has a REGULAR snack even if you are sending in a birthday treat for the class. NO NUTS PLEASE!!
- I will be conducting a brief reading assessment this week for each child. This will help me plan instruction.
- REMINDER: This site is updated daily. CHECK BACK OFTEN!
First week 9/7 and 8
- I will provide the snack for the first week of school. Your child should bring a small snack each day starting next week. We will have a brief snack time each day before we begin our Math time. Snacks should not require a spoon and should be something that can be eaten quickly while doing work.
- Reading logs will be sent each Monday and will part of their nightly required reading. These will be returned each Friday and will count towards their reading grade. It is critical that you see and hear your child reading daily and that you read to them as well.
- Typically each child will have reading and math homework each night and occasionally science, social studies or religion will be required as well.
- The homework during the first few days will be limited as we work into our regular routine.
- Our school day begins promptly at 8:00. Students arriving after 8:00 will be marked tardy.
- We will participate in Scholastic Book Orders. Every time you purchase books for your child, I earn points towards books for our class. Here is the link to order online. You may order at any time. https://orders.scholastic.com/Q8J6Y Just copy and paste that into your browser! Last year I bought numerous sets for our room!
- WATER BOTTLES ARE OK! Your child may bring a full one to school to keep at their desk.
- We go to mass every Friday and ties are required. Please wear them to school tomorrow!
- We will begin AR soon. It is NOT too early to begin reading a book that you will use for an AR quiz.
- Next week I will begin to do some quick assessments for reading and math to see what groupings I need to make for instruction.